filmscanners: Speeding up bulk scanning

I  use Vuescan to scan one or more complete films at a time (I just sit
there and put another strip of six frames in as each one is ejected),
saving a 64bit RGBI file to disk from my Nikon LS30.

I then leave the PC processing a film at a time to create a .TIF and a .JPG
file from each frame using "average" settings.

Then comes the bit that takes me ages - opening all the files created at
the last step in Paint Shop Pro, and rotating half of them by 90 degrees.

I know that I can tell Vuescan to rotate frames as I scan them, but that
would make the first step take much longer as I would have to look at each
frame and type the commands in.

Is there a piece of software which will analyse images and make a good
guess as to which need rotating - then do it ?  It obviously would not be
able to cope with all pictures, but surely it could look for a blue sky at
the top of outdoor shots ?  Maybe even an OCR type program could look for
text and put it the right way up ?

Could it be built into Vuescan Ed ?

One last thing - if I load a JPEG into PSP, rotate it and save it again -
does this reduce the quality.

Thanks,
Mike Bloor

            Seratel Ltd.