Re: filmscanners: Glass slide mounts

In a message dated Fri, 19 Oct 2001  4:22:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Arthur
Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com> writes:
> The effect you are seeing is called Newton Rings, and it happens
> whenever two glossy surfaces come in contact.  I believe the colors are
> determined by how many molecules of air are between the surfaces, a type
> of defraction.
It's "interference," not difraction.  The surface of any transparent ojbect
reflects at least some of the light and that light then adds to or subtracts
from the wave front traveling towards it.  Depending on the distance (as
measured in wavelength of light) between the two surfaces, the light at a given
point becomes brighter or darker.  An anti-newton surface is simple a rough
surface that doesn't reflect light as uniformly as a very flat surface, so you
don't notice the dark and light rings.  But the reflections and interference is
still going on and has the result of reducing the contrast of the image ever so
slightly.  The same thing happens in multi-element camera lenses where
reflections from each glass surface unavoidably reduce the contrast of the
lens.  If you don't want to mess with glass anti-newton slide mounts, you might
consider upgrading your Nikon to a Polaroid.  (On that issue, I agree with Art
and his comment that Nikons have more of a focus problem due to!
 their weak light source and there
fore require corrective measures with curved film, such as using glass mounts.)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.