filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: nikonscan

Paul wrote:
>2: Switch off the focus before scanning option (single scan in preferences).
>it is enough to focus before preview, and if you should decide to manually
>shift the point to some suitable balance between focus positions, then
the
>manual setting would be erased if you then let the machine re-focus at
your
>last point before scanning.

Does the bow in the film ever change?  I know when I have showed slides
in an autofocus slide projector, the heat of the projector often caused
the bow in the film to reverse, requiring refocussing.  Although the scanner
isn't nearly as hot, I know that time spent in the scanner tends to make
the film "remember" its curl.

>From what Ed has said in the past, the focus position seems to be in one
direction only - I *think* along the length of the film.  I wonder how important
this may be if the given photo is taken in portrait or landscape orientation?

Does Vuescan have a focussing point offset?  I can't remember seeing one.
 I think it's just manual or autofocus and a setting for when the focussing
is done.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com