Re: filmscanners: Silverfast Ai and Silverfast HDR

Lasersoft has been described as "anal" on this list.  That's a polite way to describe the way the company is run.  I had exactly the same problem as you and paid my $45 to upgrade SilverFast (only SilverFast Ai, as it turned out) thinking that both SilverFast Ai and SilverFast HDR would be upgraded for that price.  I was eventually able to get some satisfaction from them, but it caused me a lot of heart burn.  I see no point in them charging for both Ai and HDR since both do virtually the same thing.  Ai works with data it obtains from the scanner and HDR works with data it obtains from a file.  Having both doesn't give any more capability than if you only have one or the other.

I like to scan several transparencies at a time to files, shut off my scanner, and then use SilverFast HDR to process the 48-bit files one after another.  I can use Polaroid Insight to create the 48-bit files (I guess Vuescan can do that too), so I don't need SilverFast Ai for that.  All I need is HDR.  I just don't understand Lasersoft's pricing policy.

Anyone wanting to use the potentially powerful SilverFast had better be ready for a huge amount of frustration.  The software is buggy, it's initial cost is high, documentation if poor, support is minimal.  If Lasersoft doesn't make some changes soon and if Polaroid Insight continues to improve, then I'm going to give up on SilverFast.  Too bad.  It showed so much promise.