Re: filmscanners: New film scanner - buying suggestions?

Oh, yes-- I forgot to mention.  The Digital ICE was a major selling
point for me, on the Acer.  Having used it for a while, my experience
has been that clean negatives, most of the time, eliminate the need.
I use a local photofinisher who does clean work (so far), I use a
Staticmaster brush on the negatives before putting them in the scanner
carrier, and keep the negatives in plastic sleeves (20th Century has
some nice ones that go into a ring binder, or else B&H sleeves off a
bulk roll),  That does it for most, but the ICE is nice as a fallback.
I haven't noticed loss of definition, not with ViewScan nor with
Mirafoto, but it does take longer because of the extra pass involved.

The Acer does not perform multiple scans on a single pass, as do some
of the other scanners. It is my understanding that this is an issue
only if you have heavily overexposed negatives (or underexposed
transparencies); the multiple passes that may be required to get
adequate detail take a lot of time, and registration of the successive
images may be a problem.

--
http://www.geocities.com/smprastein

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.