RE: filmscanners: scanned files open larger than indicated

Scratch Sizes in the status line in Photoshop 6 represent the amount of
memory that is currently being used to display all images open in Photoshop.
If you click the small triangle just to the right of Scratch Sizes, you can
select Document Sizes and this ought to give you an accurate reading.

For example, you can create a new file that is 11x14 inches at 240dpi. If
you multiply the equivalent 2640x3360x3 you'll get 26,611,200 KBs or
26.6MBs--the right size. Then when you use Explorer to look at the file
size, you see some slightly different number. To get a more accurate number,
you can right-click on the file name in Explorer and select properties. That
will give you the most accurate value. For some reason, Windows has always
had this quirk of not giving the accurate file size. I once heard a
plausible explanation but can't recall what it is.

---
Gregory Georges
Really Useful Content, Inc.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina