Re: filmscanners: Emulsion flaws (was dust in SS4000)

Roger,

I have seen something similar recently (5K Scanwit/Vuescan
positive clip attached) on a neg film processed in a
brand-new Kodak minilab in my local Tesco store. The bubbles
on mine are about 140 microns diameter (15pixels @ 2700ppi),
but I can't tell the size of yours without knowing how the
pixels on your Coolpix at 400x relate to the real world. I
note that I've got some lenticular shapes, and yours are all
circular in profile, so maybe they're different phenomena.

I attributed it to air bells, and haven't used that minilab
since. In fact, having seen the insides and watched the
routine maintenance of some minilabs when I worked on their
waste treatment a couple of years ago, I don't normally use
supermarket minilabs at all.

Are you sure your final double-distilled rinse is a good
idea? When I did my own 20yrs ago, wetting agent was deemed
necessary to give an even liquid film during drying.

Regards,

Alan T