Re: filmscanners: Scanner Noise (from Dust in Sprintscan 4000?)

The Mac World review on the web:

http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/reviews/filmscanners.html

gives a rather confusing answer in that at first it says the Nikon lives up
to it's claimed higher dMax only when 16x multiscan is enabled. This
certainly gives the impression that at 16x multiscan it performs to higher
specification and hence pulls more detail from the shadow. It then goes onto
say the Polaroid does better which is either a contradiction of the first
statement or refers to when all the scanners are used in single pass mode.

I do admit that I don't really know the answer and should have used "maybe"
instead of "probably". I do know that unless the SS4000 is totally noise
free (it's good but not that good) that multiscanning (with accurate
alignment) will definitely produce less noise.

I fail to see why accurate alignment should be a problem if the
multiscanning is done during a single pass. I am also surprised that the
SS4000 firmware (or more importantly from my point of view Artixscan 4000)
cannot be updated to allow it. Surely it is not too difficult to issue
multiple CCD reads before advancing the film and hence avoid any possibility
of misalignment?

On the software front it would be possible to post scan align the images -
panorama stitching programs manage this most of the time. Some even when the
images being stitched have been taken without a tripod never mind an
accurately set-up panoramic head.

A further point on the software is that fewer multiscans could be used if
the processing was a bit smarter. Rather than using a simple averaging
algorithm the use of a median algorithm would produce better results with
fewer scans. Whilst medians are slow and memory hogs it may be quicker than
extra scans.

One particularly interesting thing about the MacWorld review was that the
Artixscan had most detail but lots of noise and the Polaroid was relatively
noise free with less detail. As these two machines are effectively the same
it is the scanning software (and possibly the firmware) that produces
difference between them.

I am not surprised that Artixscan produced great detail but lots of noise
with Scan Wizard Pro. See:

http://www.greenbank.themutual.net/artixscan4000_noise.htm

These are samples of a Velvia slide. It projects great but is a complete pig
to scan due to the density in some areas of the image. In the samples on the
web a small section from the bottom right of the slide are shown. The scans
were all done with the software's default automatic settings.

Scan Wizard Pro produces great detail but the scan is useless due to noise.
Silverfast produces slightly less detail but significantly less noise.
Unfortunately still too much noise for anything but a very small print.
Vuescan sacrifices some detail but produces a much more usable image due to
the lack of noise - print size not limited by noise.

In later tests I found that I could get more detail from Vuescan without too
much difficulty and without too much noise. I never managed to eliminate
sufficient noise from either Silverfast or Scan Wizard Pro to make a usable
scan. Possibly operator error, but if it is then the software is too
difficult to use!

Steve