Re: filmscanners: Importance of Copyright on Images

Johnny writes:

> I am interested in how you would go about
> 'abolishing' royalties.

By dramatically limiting the scope of copyright protection, and/or by greatly
reducing its duration, perhaps to the same duration as patent protection.

> If it seems unfair to you, that's your problem.

Not really.  In the not-so-distant future, I think it will become a problem for
artists and especially organizations that depend on royalties.

> Creative works are a scarce commodity ...

Hardly.  There are far more people with talent than there is demand for talent.
This is why there are so many starving artists in the world, whereas there are
very few starving engineers.

Celebrity is a scarce commodity, and that's what usually commands the big bucks,
not creative talent.  But celebrity is ephemeral, so last year's solid gold may
be this year's solid lead.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.