RE: filmscanners: ReSize, ReSample or ReScan ?

> > Don't buy into this "magic resolution" claim.
>
>  I understand your reasoning.  But maybe I did not ask my
> question very well.  I have read in several places (including
> this list) that certain printers are "set" for lack of a better
> word or optimized to certain value of DPI.

That is not true.  The printer it self has a resolution of, say, 720.  If
you are printing grayscale, you need to have a dither/halftone algorithm
turn the image data into discrete dots.  The algorithm may or may not use
fixed cell sizes, random patterns...and whole slew of techniques...to
simulate grayscale.  It is more "driver" dependant than printer dependant,
and it will also be image type dependant too.

> On the surface it seems logical to me that any printer has
> certain registrations for its print head.

It does, but you are not printing images that are only black or not
black...so yes, the resolution of the printhead does play an important role,
but as I've stated...there just is no magic DPI for images.

> The amount of ink can
> be  varied, but if in preparing the image I can use color
> resolution that essentially equal the printer's registration

You can't do that unless you are using no intermediate colors...only
printing the exact colors of the ink(s) in the printer.  Image files just
aren't like that.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.