RE: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

From the quotes that have been included, I am not sure if you are responding to me or to someone else.  However, I will make a few counterpoints to your comments.

First of all, many of those high quality magazines published in the US which are printed or distributed in Europe have bureaus in Europe whose staffs are full time residents in that location and not temporary traveling staff personnel ( with some of the full time resident staff being professional photographers).  Thus they are familiar with the consistent and reliable sources for supplies as well as for processing and if need be pass the information on to visiting photographers from elsewhere who come to their location to shoot for their magazines.  In the case of the high quality European magazines that publish and distribute in Europe, their full time resident staffs as well as any freelancers shooting for them are very familiar with the reliable and consistent suppliers and labs in the area or are made so by those in their publications who have that knowledge.  This is not the case for visiting tourists or professional commercial photographers who may be passing through a given location and not affiliated with any of the major European or US magazines or newspapers - be they their on vacation, to shoot stock photos or on commercial assignments.

Secondly, not all the locations in the US or out of the US are major metropolitan urban areas or near such areas so as to afford visiting photographers access to high quality suppliers and labs that might be found in the major metropolitan urban areas; and if they do exist, the visitor will not know of their existence in advance so as to be able to count on there being at the location when the visiting photographer is in that location.  I would hate to arrive in some rural village 200 miles from any major urban metropolitan area with a few rolls of film only to find that there are no suppliers in that village or the surrounding area or that they only carry one type and speed of film in small quantities such that I would have to go 200 miles to get the supplies that I needed.  Moreover, not all countries in  the world are industrialized  so as to even have major urban metropolitan areas that serve as centers for any of the uses of commercial photography so as to have suppliers of international brands of film and modern processing available.

Thirdly, you can get bad film anywhere and you can get screwed up processing anywhere; that is not the point.  The point is that visitors to a strange area do not know or have any way of knowing who is and who is not reliable on a consistent basis in the area that they are visiting unlike people from the area.  This means that the visitor takes a much more uncontrolled and uncalculated risk than the person who is from the area in making purchases of perishable - so to speak - supplies and getting demanding precision processing and/or printing done.

Consequently, the risk of fogging via x-rays may frequently be less if one takes precautions than getting supplies on location or having processing done on location.  Some of the precautions include knowing what countries have airport scanners that are cranked up to high levels or generate stray x-rays, which airports do not allow hand checking of films, and the like.  Furthermore, if one is shooting for some major internationally influential client, the client may have some ways of by-passing the x-raying of their film via some special arrangements with customs and airport security which the individual photographer will not have.  Many companies that engage in international commerce use brokers and expediters to get around many of the requirements that mere mortals encounter.

As a couple of asides, many of the high quality magazines use their own staff photographers and staff operated labs; they buy their film, paper, and chemistry in bulk direct from the film manufacturers or their distributors.  They therefore control the storage conditions of the supplies which their staff uses so as to assure as best that anyone can the quality of the supplies rather than leaving such things up to random chance.  They also maintain and control their own developing and printing processing equipment and activities with respect to regular changing of chemistry, filtration of water, cleaning of processors, etc.

Another aside has to do with distinguishing between professional photographers and non-professional photographers with respect to their demands and needs concerning the delivery of a high quality successful product.  Professionals shooting for commercial purposes are paranoid and concerned about quality because not only is their reputations at stake but their livelihood is as well which is not the case for non-commercial photography done by amateurs or professionals.  Thus, while some of what has been said may be appropriate for non-commercial photography where an adequate or satisfactory quality may be all the is needed with no major long lived repercussions for failures of poor results; it is not so for commercially motivated photography.  The two should not be lumped together as having the same demands or needs so as to have the same solutions.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk [mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of Hersch Nitikman
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 6:19 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

Just sticking my nose in here, with a little trepidation, we are surely aware that there are numerous high quality publications in Europe, including photographic magazines on sale at Borders and B&N, and I'm sure they didn't have agents in the US getting film at our local stores, or having their stuff processed in the US. I think Anthony has a point.
However, photographers are inherently paranoid about having their precious films processed somewhere that they don't know or have experience with. I lost an important roll recently here in California when the local camera store operative screwed up his mini lab, with a grossly underdeveloped roll. It can happen anywhere.
Hersch

At 03:36 PM 09/07/2001, you wrote:
Laurie writes:

> But not everybody uses the same quality controls
> or implements them in the same way with regularity.

The results I've obtained have been extremely consistent.  The process is so
highly automated and consistent that it is far less likely to be messed up than,
say, the preparation of prints (although recent advances such as the Fuji
Frontier appear to be making prints nearly as foolproof as well).

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.