filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

Anthony wrote:
> Maybe, but that depends on your destination, and how
> much does it _really_ cost to lug film around the
> world?  In addition, if your film is fogged and
> ruined, how much will that cost you?
> When I see people hauling rolls of film to London
> or Paris or Osaka, I really have to wonder why they
> are doing as they do. It's like coals to Newcastle.

I don't want to drag this OT discussion out too much
longer, but cost can be a major factor.  When travelling
arond the world in 1993 I had been processing films along
the way until I got to Paris.  When I saw the prices
being charged for film and processing, I ended up using
the Fuji slide film I'd bought duty free in Australia
before I left (carefully guarded in hand luggage).

Film and processing was horrifically expensive in Paris,
and I was on a very limited budget.  So I shot slides
and brought the film back to Australia to process later
when I could actually afford it.

Thankfully it now means I have some great slides of the
view from the top of la Tour Eiffel that I wouldn't
have had otherwise. :)

Obscanning: And I need to scan them!!

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com