filmscanners: Selecting a scanner

I am new to this list and would appreciate some advice on selecting a film
scanner.

The high-end(4000 dpi) is beyond my budget.

I wish to make prints mainly in 8x10 format, with perhaps 11x14 at some later
date.

My printer is an HP932C Deskjet.

My computer is just one year old with a 20 Gig HD, 832 MHz processor and 512 Mb
Ram. My OS
is Windows Me.

I would like to be able to adjust the histogram for a selected area of the
prescanned
image, by using  lightness and contrast controls. I would like to have this
feature for
both slides and negatives.

I have heard that the earlier Nikon scanners were having problems with burning
up the
stepping motor.

I would like a USB connection, but a plug&play SCSI board is acceptable.

I have been reading the list mail over the past few days re comments on the
CanoScan
FS2710, and I am wondering if I will find this unit suitable for my needs and
wants.

Regards, John.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.