Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

--- Dana Trout <dana@troutcom.com> wrote:
> That solution doesn't always work. When we were in Europe (Athens and
> Rome) security would not allow us to do anything but run the film
> through the scanner. However, I was told that the intensity of the
> X-rays of the gate scanner was much less than what is used for
> checked
> baggage. I don't know how true that statement is.

The x-ray machines for hand-lugage is film-save in almost all
countries, especially Europe, America, etc. So unless you have to pass
through x-ray a dozen time there shouldn't be any problem. If you have
to pass through x-ray very often during your trip then you might want
to look for alternatives. Just as a side note, in the US you can ask
for hand-control and they can't forcue you to put it through x-ray. But
you have to add some more time as they often do some visual inspection
as well as samples (with a white cloth put into an analyzer). In other
countries you sometimes can get hand-inspection although they don't
have to do it. Plus you can always put have a dozen of very fast film
in your bags to convience them more to do hand-inspection.
So again, as long as you don't have to go through many x-rays for
hand-inspection you are fine. It's mainly the big CT-scanners that
destroy film. In addition, they destroy it not evenly which makes it
more visible then the other x-ray machines.

robert