Re: filmscanners: Dust removal software?

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 12:52:08 EDT   (RogerMillerPhoto@aol.com) wrote:

> I've never used ICE, but I do own a Polaroid SprintScan 4000 and am
> perfectly happy with it.  I think that people who sing the praises of
> ICE are people who have a dust problem

Today I have been scanning B&W negs of my own from 1982 onwards, using VS +
Polaroid 4000. No significant dust issues, and I have been rather amazed
how much extra tonality the scanner has been finding in the negs, some of
which I have printed many times on bromide. Some are swinish in the
darkroom, yet have not posed any dynamic range nor other problems as scans,
and have proved much easier to dodge and burn on screen. I think of myself
as a fairly expert monochrome printer. Today has caused me to wonder
whether I really want to go through all that hassle ever again.

Printing them well is another matter however, best discussed elsewhere.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons