filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: VueScan Problem

Alan wrote:
> JASC hasn't taken compression/decompression of 48-bit images
> seriously because PSP can't work with them. If you do load a
> 48-bit image you can only save it as 24-bit.

Oh, sure.  I was just pointing out that ACDSee wasn't the only program which
had problems with the Vuescan compressed TIFFs as an FYI for people who
want to use Vuescan and PSP.  The solutions are simple - drop the output
to 24bit or switch compression off.

> For 'serious' users (which doesn't include me) this is
> a bad drawback, and means you're stuck with Photoshop
> or similar.

I think the shareware program Picture Window Pro works in
48 bit colour.

>As a *viewer*, Ed Hamrick's *Vueprint* is pretty well
>unbeatable, and it's included in the Vuescan licence.

Irfanview is a neat little picture viewer as well.  Very small and fast
but it defaults to opening a file at 1:1 which is a bit of a pain.  I think
you can change the setting though.

>Maybe those viewers that don't read Ed's compressed 48-bit
>files have just lifted a compression/decompression routine
>from someone else, without understanding it very well.

Could be.  In the case of PSP I think it's likely to be the earlier guess
that they weren't serious about supporting 48bit files in a 24bit editor.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.