RE: filmscanners: Dust removal software?

What scanner do you have? I am surprised you are having softening of your
images. On the original Nikon LS2000, Nikon offered two modes, "normal" and
"fine". We believe they should have be labeled "soften" and "normal." The
advantage of Nikon's "normal" mode is that some softening will reduce the
appearance of serious defects (defects that penetrate the emulsion for
instance). In the fine mode (which is NOT the default) the image should be
just as sharp as a scan with Digital ICE turned off. On later models, the
default mode should provide images that have the same sharpness whether
Digital ICE is on or off.

Additionally, Digital ICE has many other purposes other than dust removal.
It also removes surface defects in film. No matter how carefully you treat
your film, there will be instances where the film will have scratches,
bubbles and other defects that show up in the final output caused not by the
user or the film processor, but the film manufacturer. These defects are
identified by the infrared scan and compensated for in software.

I scan film that has been processed by a "dip and dunk" processor at a lab
that caters to professionals, meticulously handled and STILL there are
surface defects. I also scan a lot of old images. For old poorly handled
images I wouldn't consider a scanner without Digital ICE.

Jack Phipps
Applied Science Fiction