Re: filmscanners: ICE & GEM Resolution Test on Nikon IV

In a message dated 9/2/2001 5:52:43 PM EST, mgduncan@esper.com writes:

> To answer the
>  burning question, ICE degrades sharpness while VS IR filter does not, at
>  least on Kodak Max400.

Yes, this is how I designed VueScan's Infrared clean filter.  It only
smooths the image in the neighborhood of dust spots.

However, I suspect you'll find that NikonScan 3.1 filters the image
a lot less than older versions of NikonScan on the LS-30 and LS-2000.

> Both ICE and VS IR filter blur Kodachrome, but VS
>  blurs less.

VueScan occasionally sees image detail as small bits of dust
with Kodachrome.  It's usually in the darkest parts of the image,
where there's already little image detail.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.