filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: My 8000 does NOT band using Vuescan!

Austin wrote:
> Because the scanning software gives different results
> (appears to "cure" the problem), that doesn't mean it's
> not hardware.

The jaggies problem is a design fault in the scanner hardware which fortunately
can be resolved in software.  I didn't say that the hardware wasn't ultimately
at fault, but anything which can be solved in software is a lot better than
something which requires a recall for hardware modification.

> I do believe for the 8000, Ed said it was probably a
> hardware/firmware problem.  I've asked him if he had
> any more information on this, and am awaiting his answer.

Yup, from what Ed has said it's related to the use of the three rows of
CCD elements.  It sounds like the three row idea was something which didn't
quite work in practice.  Again it's a hardware fault which it appears can
be resolved in software - but of course it means the hardware isn't behaving
as it was originally designed to.  Much the same as the jaggies problem
being related to the use of a command to reading 64K of data at a time and
how the hardware behaved when that command was used.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.