Re: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

>on 8/27/01 5:39 AM, Anthony Atkielski at atkielski.anthony@wanadoo.fr wrote:
>
>> I've consistently heard that it isn't as good as the LS-2000, and some
>>sample
>> scans I've seen appear to support this.  Specifically, it appears to have a
>> smaller dynamic range.
>
>I don't know where you've heard that, Anthony, but I'd say the optical image
>quality of the two scanners is nearly identical, and neither is clearly
>better than the other EXCEPT when it comes to pixels, and here the SS4K wins
>hands down....

>As for dynamic range, I ran side by side comparisons of them at my local pro
>dealer before I bought mine, concentrating particularly on the Dmax on a
>particularly dense slide. To my and the sales guy's total surprise the SS4K
>did marginally *better* than the Nikon.

To complicate matters, the software you use can have a dramatic difference
in the dynamic range.  Nikon Scan 3.1 does a much better job mapping a wide
dynamic range into 8-bit computer graphics than Nikon Scan 3.0.   Ditto
Vuescan Image versus Slide media setting.

Mike Duncan

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.