Re: filmscanners: yet *another* low cost way to avoid the future

Robert writes:

> But you are going from a 2700dpi (LS-2000) to a
> 4000dpi (LS-4000) scanner. This very obviously does
> change the requirements of your system ...

Not enough to mandate an upgrade.  At most, I'd have to add some RAM.

> In addition, time seems to be of critical importance
> to you.

Downtime is critically important.  It is more acceptable to do things relatively
slowly than it is to risk not being able to do things at all for any period of
time.  I have to be able to read and write e-mail every day, for example.

> Even a cheap new system will outperform and old
> dual PPro@200Mhz by a big margin, especially if
> you have lots of memory and a fast HD.

Sure, but performance is the very last of my concerns.  My concern is getting
any new system to do everything that the old system does, and that would not be
easy--I'm not even sure that it would be possible.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.