filmscanners: Thanks to all, re. Photoshop 5 LE files darker than they look

Thanks to all for the advice on the "gamma problem"  Photoshop 5 LE.  As
several people have pointed out, it saves files with a gamma of 1.8, and
this is what makes things look too dark on a PC with a gamma of 2.2.

A couple of people pointed out that if I make all adjustments possible in
16-bit mode, then adjust PS LE's gamma (in Levels) up to 1.22 just before
saving, this will make things look right on a PC (discounting all the color
(non) management variables that are Out There).

I have tried this, and it indeed works.  It does mean doing any 8-bit
adjustments like dodging, burning and spotting with the picture looking
"wrong" in PS LE.  Fine for images that don't require much besides
curves/levels, cropping and spotting.  Not so good if one needs dodging,
burning, local color adjusting, etc.

Another alternative is to get full Photoshop, which can be obtained by
online auction for substantially less than the $600 full price.  One can do
this legally if one buys an unregistered package of a previous version.

Yet another alternative is to use another program that allows 16-bit
editing.  At this point, Picture Window Pro seems like the best
alternative, despite being very different from Photoshop.  I've downloaded
a trial version and will fool with it soon.  I like the idea that it is a
program of, by and for photographers, rather than a graphic arts program to
which photography has been grafted.

I'm going back to digest mode, as I find that less distracting than the
huge number of messages that come from the list "raw."  If I see a subject
I want to pursue, I'll just join the regular list again and jump in.

Thanks again to all!

--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA USA

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.