RE: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

> >> What about the Polaroid SS4000, a bargain
> >> at $700 with rebate.  No ICE.
> >
> >The dynamic range is too low.
>
> Is this true?  I was under the impression from reviews the
> dynamic range of
> the SS4000 was almost the same as the LS4000 and IV.
>
> Mike Duncan

I believe that is not true, especially if the claim is based on
manufacturers spec sheets.  The SS4k lists a "density range" of 0-3.4.  The
Nikon Coolscan IV lists a "dynamic range" of 3.6.  We have no factual basis
for what either of them are basing their claim on.

I believe the Nikon is purely using the number of bits to claim the dynamic
range.  It just so happens, that 12 bits can ~exactly represent an integer
dynamic range of 3.6.  A density range of 3.4 does not come out to as exact
a number of bits, so I would guess that the Polaroid is actually measured.
Both the Nikon and the Polaroid use a 12 bit A/D BTW.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.