RE: filmscanners: Best film scanner, period!!!

All right, you got me going on this one. The actual dynamic range
performance on the SS4000 is at least as goot as the Nikon scanner AND you
get it in a single pass, eliminating any of the artifacts from
multi-scanning.
WIth regards to dynamic range information, you ABSOLUTLY cannot compare
specifications from digfferent manufactures as each manufacturer uses their
own technique. See the below quote from a Mac world review by Bruce Fraser,
the 3.6 number was from a Nikon scanner.
ALthough O.D. specifications SHOULD be a meaningfull spec, today it is worse
than useless, it is misleading.
You will get EVERYBIT of OD from a SS4000 as you will  from a Nikon.

Bruce Fraser - MacWorld

“We were able to get excellent scans by opening a raw, high-bit file in
Photoshop and converting it to the Photoshop working space, and we got
pretty good scans when we used Polaroid's recommended workflow. The dynamic
range of 3.4 seems conservative–starting with high-contrast slides, we
obtained results with shadow detail comparable to that in scans from
scanners with a quoted dynamic range of 3.6–and at 4,000 dpi, the scanner
offers the highest resolution in its class”

David

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.