RE: filmscanners: film vs. digital cameras - wedding/commercial photography

> > Only the color information is shared amongst multiple pixels
> > NOT the edge information.  That does not make the four pixels one pixel.
> > Do the geometry.  Each of the four sensors is capable of sensing an
> > entirely unique "section" of the image. Why is that so hard to
understand?

> Because it isn't true.

What part of it isn't true?  Be VERY specific.

> Each sensor has a filter in front of it (R, G or B).
> That means that you have to use sensors next to it to get a true value of
the
> luminance at each sensor.

No, it means you get a different color value from a DIFFERENT PART of the
image.

> Each sensor just measures the luminance within a small spectrum.
> I think that's pretty clear, isn't it? :-)

To me it is, but your perception of how it works is incorrect.

> > Take the four pixels, a 2x2 box, and say the left two are sensing only
> > black, and the right two, only white.  What are the four
> > resultant values going to be?

> Good point, because that shows the problem. You can't determine what the
TRUE
> value was at each sensor,

True value of WHAT?  The color, no, but the edge information is still there.

> > Television works more or less the same way, having some
> > fraction (1/4th?) the color information to the edge information.

> Well, if you're satisfied with TV picture quality, that method works fine
:-)

It's called aliasing.  To the human eye, color aliases far more than edge
information.

> But as I mentioned in the first paragraph, even the edge information
suffers
> from this "guessing" approach.

Not in the way you believe it does.  I really do hate to mentioning this,
but I am a professional engineer and have been designing digital imaging
systems for over 20 years.  I really do know exactly how these things work.
What is your background WRT digital imaging?  Have you actually done designs
with these sensors, and you are speaking from experience?  I have, and I am.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.