RE: filmscanners: film vs. digital cameras - wedding/commercial photography

> --- Austin Franklin <darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > > Third, the 6 megapixel resolution is an interpolated resolution.
> >
> > That is not true.  The luminance information in one shot digital
> > cameras is
> > NOT interpolated (except in the Fuji cameras), only the chrominance.
> > Color
> > information is not near as critical as edge information.  You still
> > get full
> > 6M pixels of edge information.
>
> Most digital cameras use an GRGB patter.

Er, yep.  It's called a "Bayer" pattern.  The G is for increased contrast.
There are no single shot cameras currently "for sale" that I am aware of
that do not use mixed color sensors in some interleaved arrangement.  The
only one that "may" be available "soon" is using three sensors and a beam
splitter.  I have my doubts about the viability of that.

> Further, the luminance is
> defined as approx. Y=0.3R + 0.6G + 0.1B. Since you do not have all
> color information you first have to interpolate it to calculate the
> luminance value. Therefore, the luminance value is also interpolated.

It is defined by "an" algorithm, and "the" algorithm is not cast in stone.
Different implementations use different algorithms.  I've designed digital
imaging systems that use the sensors that have the Bayer pattern, and I did
not do as you suggest is done.  Full edge information can be attained, and
not "interpolated".

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.