Re: filmscanners: film vs. digital cameras - wedding/commercial photography

There are a couple of other considerations why MF is popular in wedding
photos

Lots of weddings are shot in poor light - both during the ceremony and the
candids, there is only so much the portable flash can do.  MF film, because
of its larger image gathering area, performs better in the 'lower boundary'.
Think LPM - if a film has say 200lpm resolution in its optimal exposure
range (call it Zone VI) - and lets assume its color film so it has a 'minus
range' down to Zone III, in Zone III its resolution will be probably down to
about 50lpm.  Now 1 mm on a 35mm image, is 4% of the whole image (24mm high)
so the total vertical resolution ends up being say 1200 linepairs - blow
that up to an 8x10 and you are down to 120dpi!!!  Whereas on the 6x7 the
SAME IMAGE is captured with 3000 linepairs - which at 8x10 is still 300dpi!

Net result is that you get much better image quality, tonality, shadow
detail etc. in the 6x7.

Second - you can't change film backs on a 35mm.  On a 6x7, you can go from
Provia 100 for the 3 shot candid up-close smooch at the table, switch backs,
and be shooting iso400 print film for the Whole Room shot and dancing.  This
IS a place digital can make a difference in the '35mm slr format'.

Third, the 6 megapixel resolution is an interpolated resolution.  The real
resolution is still 3 or so megapixels.  Interpolated resolution aint the
same as the real thing

Yet another thing to consider is image perspective.  a 35mm SLR type, you
are shooting 'eye to eye'. So for folks sitting,
you are inducing parallax unless you kneel.  For folks standing, you
potentially over-emphasize facial detail.  Shooting with an MF from the
waist, changes both of these in a way that tends to be flattering for candid
shots.

Another part is the $1500.  If I spend $1500, I want to feel I got my
money's worth.  Which means I want to be hiring someone that lets me feel
like they are doing something that Uncle Harry with his Canon Rebel X cannot
do.  So if you show up with something that looks like a Rebel X - say a
D-30, there is a value perception.

That said,  at a recent corporate event my wife and I attended, they had a
'get a shot with your sweetie' booth.  And the guy there was using a D1
hooked up to a laptop with an external monitor for instant image review.  It
made a big difference, he reshot quite a few images where a couples hand
wasn't quite right or the flash shadow was a bit unflattering etc.  And the
resultant images were prefectly fine for a wedding album.

So I would suggest that a digital camera like the D-30 or the D1x would be
fine for the 'studio shots' and the posed shots.

As for commercial product shots - I work with a graphic artist that does
layouts for Costco catalogs.  ALL of those images are shot digitally.
Lighting can be controlled very carefully, and digital has much greater
'grey scale' resolution (ie how many 'zones' it captures info in) than film
does.  And the ability to go straight from the camera into the catalog saves
huge amounts in scanning costs.  Which lets Costco save on the total cost of
the catalog.

Since the catalog work can be set up to be as close as possible and lit as
needed, the D1x or D-30 works great in that environment.  The main reason
for going to 4x5 digital back is that the Tilt/shift/focus-depth controls
are very useful in closeup product shots (I do art portfolio shots, and I
much prefer the 4x5 to the 35mm. I don't need to be as 'perfectly aligned'
with the 4x5 since I can compensate by changing the angle of the lens or
film-plane independently).