filmscanners: Film scanner for slides

Dale wrote:
>I use a couple Leica M6 manual 35mm rangefinder cameras to take color and
>black and white slides.  I use ISO/200 Kodachome and SCALA films that I
buy
>along with mailers from B&H in New York.
>My computer is 1.5 year old, Windows 98, 450Mz PIII, 256M RAM, and lots
of
>free hard drive space.
>I want to scan maybe ten slides a month.  My main purpose will be to
>"publish" the digitized photographs as attachments to e-mails or simply
file
>them one place or another in cyberspace.
>Canon Canoscan FS-2710 2720 dpi 35mm/APS Film Scanner

OK, so the Canon is one you're looking at.  Is there anyone on the list
with a 2710 or 2720 who has scanned B&W slides?

I'm not going to suggest a particular scanner because it gets messy - cheaper
scanners don't generally deal well with silver based films or dense slides,
and AFAIK Kodachrome 200 and Scala are both.  Infra-red dust and scratch
removal probably won't do much for you.  You want to scan for screen
resolutions,
so maximum dpi isn't a real requirement but I bet you'd get scans with less
aliasing at 4000dpi.  You'll only need USB if you get a USB scanner; a lot
are still SCSI. Have a look at the Polaroid SS4000, Canon 2720, Minolta
Scan Dual II, Acer Scanwit and Nikon Coolscan IV.

There's probably someone on the list with each of those scanners, so hopefully
they can tell you how well the scanner behaves with films similar or the
same as those you'll use.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com