Re: filmscanners: SilverFast Upgrade Disaster

Hi Roger

A few things have occurred to me - please ignore the first 2 if you have a
Mac:

==========
1) Are you using Win 9x/Me with more than 512MB ? If you are you may  need
to add a line to the file c:\windows\system.ini

On the line immediately following
[vcache]
add the following
MaxFileCache=131072

That will set the max file cache to 128Mb and prevent a known windows bug.
You may like to try a larger value.
===========
2) Have you set the swap file to too small a fixed size. (People tend to set
up a fixed size as this works best- as long as it's big enough). I don't
quite remember where this is for NT/2000 but it's somewhere similar.

Under start->control panel->system (you can press windows key and break key
together as a short cut). Find the virtual memory setting under performance.
Ensure this either set to something big (double your memory size is often
recommended) but you also need to consider your scan size. Either setting
"Let windows manage my virtual memory" or bearing in mind the size of your
disk I'd set it to 4096 (too big) to see if this is your problem.
===========
3) Out of available disk space (I think this applies to a Mac too). PS uses
scratch disk too as does printing if you are simultaneously doing some. A
quick way to test this other than delete loads of files is to set your
history states to 1 in PS. Edit->Preferences->General
===========
4) PS memory management. This is accessed under
Edit->Preferences->Memory&ImageCache . Here you can set memory usage by PS I
think 50-75% is generally recommended but if you have a lot of memory you
can go higher. I use 80%. You have to leave a little for the operating
system and memory resident programs. Ensuring the minimum spec for OS is
left for non PS should be sufficient.

You will need to restart Windows for the first 2 and PS for the last 2.

Good luck

Steve