Re: filmscanners: SilverFast Upgrade Disaster

Lloyd, it looks like I won't have to use TWAIN as a possible workaround after
all.  Ian Lyons' post indicates that he thinks my problem is due to my using a
single unpatitioned drive for everything.  Photshop doesn't like that, it wants
its own reserved area for a scratch disc.  So I'm going to buy another hard
drive and dedicate a part of it to Photoshop.

I see in another post that Steve made a suggestion to solve your problem.  I
hope it works.  But you should also make sure that you've partitioned your
drive and set aside a part of it for the exclusive use of Photoshop for a catch
area.

In a message dated Mon, 13 Aug 2001  3:55:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Lloyd
O'Daniel" <lodaniel@bham.rr.com> writes:

>Roger,    Let us know how the TWAIN version works. I'm having   a similar
>problem with v5.5 and my SS4000. At least, after reading your posts,   I'm
>thinking it might be Silverfast. I've also built a new computer and switched
>scanning OS's back to Win2000. The SS4000 locks up Photoshop upon selecting
>Scan   in SF. In Insight, I get an unknown ASPI error suggesting that I check
> termination. I've done that. Also, my Epson 1200S on the same chain (behind
>the   SS) works fine using their TWAIN driver.    I haven't contacted
>Lasersoft on this latest   headache yet.    Lloyd      ----- Original Message
>-----     From:     RogerMillerPhoto@aol.com     To:
>filmscanners@halftone.co.uk         Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 9:23     PM
>  Subject: Re: filmscanners: SilverFast     Upgrade Disaster
> In a message dated     8/12/2001 4:56:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> steve@gccl.fsbusiness.co.uk     writes:
>

>     Not wishing to sound to gloomy, but the advice sounds like a "we
>have no
> idea - but it might work if we re-install everything". The good       news is
>that
> it often does - the bad news is IME it more often doesn't.       When I had a
> problem they gave me all sorts of advice and blamed other       software
>suppliers
> when I knew it was their problem from the tests I had       done. I had also
>found
> a way round the problem which was an       inconvenience rather than a
> showstopper. 3-6 months later an update       fixed the problem but they
>didn't
> e-mail me to tell me. If I had paid       the normal asking price (it was
>bundled)
> and my livlihood depended on it       I would have been bloody livid.
>
> Depressingly Lasersoft support is       actually better than many others.
>
> Steve
>
> Your     comment about workarounds gave me an idea. After the reinstall of
>
> Photoshop, if SilverFast causes Photoshop to freeze again with a 500 MB
>file
> from my SS120, I'll try to install SilverFast as TWAIN rather than a
> Photoshop plug-in. I remember having a similar problem where my     Microtek
> ScanMaker 5 flatbed scanner with ScanWizard software would cause
>Photoshop to
> freeze about every third scan. ScanWizard could be used     either as a
> Photoshop plug-in or as a stand alone program, so I run it by     itself now.
>
> You're right, it's not convenient, but right now I need     to get some work
>done
> and the sooner the better, even if it's not     convenient.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.