Re: filmscanners: SilverFast Upgrade Disaster

In a message dated 8/12/2001 4:26:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
geoffmurray@primus.com.au writes:

This appears to be making a mountain out of a molehill surely. Defragging
should be done regularly anyway, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop is
not difficult, likewise the plug-ins and all you need to do is back-up the
profiles created by the previous IT8 calibrations. You shouldn't need to
redo them. Think positive :-)

Geoff

I've been delaying doing a defrag because it takes at least 3 or 4 hours with
an 80 GB hard drive that's half full.  This simply forces the issue.  Also,
I'll try SilverFast after the defrag and maybe Photoshop will work and I
won't have to do all of the reinstalls.  (I can hope, can't I?)  As I recall,
I did have problems installing Photoshop 6 one time (still had Photoshop LE
installed and there was a conflict.)  I've never had an install take place
without some kind of a problem.  SilverFast can't be "uninstalled" because
it's a plug-in; you have to hunt for the files to be deleted.  (That's in
spite of the fact that it has a folder labeled "uninstall.")  For some reason
when I upgraded to 5.5, I was required to do the IT8 calibrations over again.
 Actually, it's the time factor that I'm most concerned about because I'm a
busy person.  And when things don't go smoothly (I know they won't), it takes
4 or 5 times as long to get the job done and the support people aren't
standing by the telephones on the weekend or at 3:00 a.m. when I need their
help.  Remember, I've already spent about 60 hours just getting my SS120
on-line and SilverFast loaded and kind of working.  On top of that, the
reinstalls probably won't even cure this last problem.  Think positive, you
say?  Well, as a pessimist, I derive a great deal of satisfaction from being
right in the end.  And if I am wrong, well, a pessimist who's wrong is
satisfied, too.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.