Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000

> > And which "mass distributors" sell scanners at cost? As far as I know,
Nikon
> > scanners are only sold in photo stores that also sell Nikon cameras.
> > Personally, I'd rather buy a scanner from a photo store than a
department
> > store. There's a lot to be said for knowledgeable sales staff, service,
and
> > support.
>
> Well, by mass distributors I was referring to B&H, Camera World, etc.
> Most things nikon are sold at or near cost by these folks. They aren't
> doing that with scanners because of what David had mentioned...

I can reasonably assure you that B&H and others do not sell at cost, whether
it's a scanner or a camera. I am familiar with wholesale pricing on some of
these products, and they are making a fair profit.

Really now, why would they purchase product, maintain inventory, pay
employee salaries, rent, etc., and then sell items at pr near cost? Maybe if
they lose a dollar on every sale they can make it up in volume.

> That's what I mean... If the scanners are the same price, why wait
> around for a Nikon when you can get the Polaroid now?

Because some people compared the two and prefer the Nikon, obviously.

> Many of my
> customers could only say that they wanted a Nikon, which is fine BTW, I
> was just curious why. Most of the people that I talked to couldn't point
> to anything in particular, like features, to support their decision... I
> guess that I feel that Nikon is becoming the Bose of photography!:-)
> I.E. they know the name, so that's what they buy...

I think you need to give people more credit than that. If someone is
dropping $3k on a scanner, they're likely to do some product research and
make an informed purchase decision.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.