Re: filmscanners: flatbed for contact-sheets

Bob Kehl - Kvernstoen, Kehl & Assoc wrote:
> Are you saying your Agfa Arcus seems better worse than the Epson
scanners???
> The Epson 1640SU also has a dmax of 3.2 and higher resolution than the
Agfa.

You shouldn't look at specs only. Take a look at scan from those both
scanners.
My conclusion is that Agfa Arcus 1200 has much more dynamic range, less
noise in shadows and is significantly sharper. My Epson 1200U also doesn't
keep proportions of the image - when you scan a circle with Epson you get a
very slightly oval shape. It shows, especially in direct comparison.
But I have also observed that neither Epson nor Agfa are good enough for
scanning negatives. The denser parts of the emulsion are too big a barrier
for the CCD elements of the scanners. It results in lack of details in white
areas.

Regards

Tomasz Zakrzewski

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.