From: RogerMillerPhoto@aol.com [mailto:RogerMillerPhoto@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 6:26 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: I love/hate SilverFast

I just paid extra to buy SilverFast with a Polaroid SprintScan 120 medium
format film scanner.  I received the scanner a week ago Friday and it was
inoperable for a week due to poor installation instructions from Polaroid.
Then, after I got it running with Polaroid Insight, I tried to load
SilverFast, which is what I want to use for scanner software since I'm
already familiar with it on my SprinScan 4000.  But the new SilverFast
wouldn't load, probably due to interference from another copy for the SS4000.
 But I was able to determine that the software on the new SilverFast CD is
the old version and not the current version 5.5.  I need version 5.5 because
it supposedly corrects SilverFast shortcomings with negative processing,
which is what I want to use the SS120 for.  So I have a new copy of
SilverFast that won't load and the software was obsolete even before I got
it.  So now I have to pay another $45US for something I've already paid for
once and should have received in the first place.  You're right, these guys
are milking their client base.  In fact, they're cheating them by shipping
obsolete software in the first place.  It wouldn't be so bad if the software
they sell would load.  And that wouldn't be so bad if SilverFast had an "800"
number you could call for help.  And the lack of an "800" wouldn't be so bad
if their support people would at least answer their e-mail in a timely
manner.  I've said before that I think some of these people should be drowned
in a bucket of warm nose drippings.  It's a rip off.  It's frustrating enough
having a $3000 scanner in its second week of being unusable.  But being sold
obsolete software simply adds to the grief.  Too bad Insight and Vuescan
don't support IT-8 calibration.  That's the only reason I've tolerating this
SilverFast nonsense up to this point.  I'm a photographer and I want to be
spending my time and money in giving my clients what they want.  I don't
enjoy fighting these other battles.

In a message dated 8/4/2001 10:42:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
david@hoffmanphotos.com writes:

At 16:55 +0100 4/8/01, David Gordon wrote:
>But the demo doesn't give an option to put a serial number in...
>
>So it's still pants, until someone tells me how!

Click the 'i' (info) box top left in the SF interface.

>Oh, by the way, you can do batch scanning with individual correction for
>each frame now. Of course they all get watermarked.

But you still have to cough up another hundred or two squids to use
the software with a bulk slide feeder!

Fine software but they really milk their client base. Pay for each
scanner, each bolt-on bit & then pay again when they stop maintaining
the version you bought! Stuff 'em, go for $40 Vuescan (which always
did individual - & better - exposure control).

David Hoffman

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.