Re: filmscanners: Vuescan and Overexposed Negs

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001 13:16:29 -0400  Stephen Jennings
(sgjennin@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> I have a neg of a bride in window light and her gown is burned out.  Any
> suggestions for bringing in detail in the scan process?

Assuming there is detail on the film ;) one way is to scan in 16bits,
adjusting Vuescan's 'colour/contrast' control so you get a scan which is
somewhat washed out and low-contrast = file A

Then do a set of level adjustments which get the midtones and shadows right
in PS, reduce to 8 bits *and save as a different file* = file B. If you do
colour and saturation adjustments, make a note so you can repeat them at
the next stage (or save as an action, excluding the levels).

Reopen the 16bit original, and do adjustments for the highlights alone.
Reduce to 8 bits. Do a selective colour mask (or lassoo) on the highlights,
just enough to capture the detail missing from file B, feather the mask (I
usually use 50 pixels to keep it nice and soft-edged) and copy and paste
into file B. Alignment is specially easy if the mask goes to an edge,
but do it at high magnification so you get it pixel perfect. Merge down and
save as file C, the final scan. Delete A and B if happy.

I've not come across any original which defies this technique, but it will
also depend on the capability of your scanner

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons