Re: filmscanners: 35mm filmscanner choice

The main problem here is that manufacturers use dpi or ppi to refer to
the number of physical elements or density on the CCD, it tells us
nothing about what happens along the route and afterward in terms of
real output.  Typically an lpi rating is a result of actual output from
a resolution chart, which tells you a lot more about what is going on
within the scanner.

Scanners have optical paths including lenses, mirror and filters, and
then electronics all of which will subtract from that absolute pixel per
inch number based upon the physical number of sensor elements in the
CCD.

If a manufacturer was to list an lpi speck using the same method they
list dpi specks, they would simply be i/2 the dpi or ppi number.  I do
not believe any CCD scanner can take this theoretical and bring it into
reality.

That also explains why the two Nikons (for example) show little
difference in resolution when tested at output, in spite of about a 35%
increase in the number of sensor elements per inch.  There appear to be
other matters than the sensor density in terms of reaching limitations
in desktop scanners.

Art

Jawed Ashraf wrote:

> A comparison of the LS4000 and some Imacon, a while back, seemed to indicate
> that the LS4000 has resolution roughly equal to the Imacon's 3200dpi (some
> parts of a test image were better, others worse).
>
> Does anyone have a thorough understanding of this?  Have I got the wrong end
> of the stick?
>
> Can someone explain how to go from ppi to lpi?
>
> Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.