Re: filmscanners: Microtek Artixscan 4000: how does it measure up?

I have the SCSI (didn't know there was a firewire vesion) Artixscan 4000T.
Unsurprisingly it perfroms much the same as the SS4000.

The ScanWizard Pro software is very easy to use and has been completely
stable from day 1. But the results in my experience are far inferior to
Vuescan (US$40 I believe). In part my poor results are probably duwe to lack
of experience with the product - I just found Vuescan so much easier that I
didn't bother much with Scan Wizard Pro . You can try Vuescan for free here
http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

My Artixscan came with Silverfast Ai 5 which is very sophisticated. In my
experience I rarely get a better scan with Silverfast than I do with
Vuescan. I did put quite a lot of effort into using Silverfast but found I
still got better scans form Vuescan.  The automatic settings certainly seem
much superior in Vuescan. I do suspect that in very skilled hands Silverfast
will produce the best results overall, but it would take me weeks just to
get regular good results. With Vuescan the results are invariably good with
very little effort.

Steve