Re: filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

Actually, that works out just about right: your 16.5MB compressed file
took 7 seconds to load on a computer that has a CPU about 2.2 times
faster than mine.

My 53MB compressed file is 3.2 times the size of yours, so if I take
the 7 seconds and multiply that by 3.2 to account for the difference in
file size, and then by 2.2 to account for your faster CPU, I come up
with 50 seconds, while I measured 61 on my computer. But no one would
claim a Celeron is as efficient with the MHz as the Athlon, so I think
we can safely say the 20% penalty I am seeing is expected.

Again, we have shown that in this case the drive speed is relatively
unimportant compared to the CPU's speed and efficiency (remember, when
the whole file was in cache so the drive wasn't even accessed it still
took my computer 55 seconds to load the file). If I'm going to do many
compressed TIFFs on this computer I would be better served with a
faster (and better) CPU than I would be with a faster drive.

And as you have amply demonstrated, even on your computer the
compression changed the load time from 4 to 7 seconds. That means even
if *all* the 4 seconds is due to drive throughput limitations, and you
went from a 7200 rpm drive to a 10,000 rpm drive (a 39% increase in
rotational speed), you would realize only a 22% increase in throughput.
Probably less, because I suspect that at least some of that 4 seconds
is due to processor activity.

However, if you increased the processor throughput by the same amount
you would get even less of a boost than by increasing the drive
throughput. Your system has pretty well-matched bottlenecks -- you
can't get a major boost dealing with compressed TIFFs by just upgrading
one thing.
  --Dana