Re: filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

Steve wrote:
 >I've noticed PS is slow too. Worse still it doesn't compress well either -
try opening a file from Vuescan and then saving it with PS and it comes out
significantly larger.

And Rafe wrote:
>Sorry, this doesn't sound right.  For a given image,
>a given file format, and compression method, the
>file size should be deterministic....
>If this weren't so, it would not be possible to share
>files between applications.

It *is* right, though, and file sharing is due to other programs recognizing
(and adjusting to) PS files. This was not always so, but has been for many
years. I'd hoped some of the better Photoshop users would chime in here,
because I'm *not* one. But I learned early on --when a folder of PS-saved
images couldn't save to a disc which seemed to have plenty of space on it--
that PS has its own way of saving images, that can be 20% or more larger
that the original file.

First of all, PS writes and saves a thumbnail; this can be defeated in the
Preferences (I think is where that is). It then also saves various
Photoshop-specific flags and markers (like color space), whether or not
you've done any actual *work* on the image in PS, so it's the same image
that you saved in PS when you open it again in PS (I'd suspect it may also
mark memory space for certain PS modes and actions, but don't know that for
fact).

Ordinarily, this will cause no problems except that your PS files will be
larger than you anticipated, and if PS is your working Image Processor it's
good to have the stuff embedded in the file. Where it becomes a *problem* is
whenever you have file/memory size constraints--it's the equivalent of
putting 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5-pound bag. It's particularly difficult
when you're doing JPEGs for a final destination like a CD (or web site, or
email)-- PS is going to make your files bigger than you want with what may
well be useless information, and AFAICT it doesn't ask for your opinion. :-|

Tony Sleep suggested the solution to this problem, which I personally went
with--save the final image in another program (Picture Publisher 8 in this
case), that has a user-selectable size-readout and visually-adjustable
Preview JPEG output. That's currently what I'm doing--adjust in PS and save
a TIFF to a Temp file, JPEG in PP8 to another file at a controlable size,
then save to disc. It involves extra steps, but since I'm publishing
multiple copies to a finite CD space, it's the best way to procede that I
presently know of.

Best regards--LRA