Re: filmscanners: Scanning and memory limits in Windows

OK thanks Rob and Rafe for luring me to check the price of memory.  I
nearly fell off my chair - $68(australian) for 256MB so I bought two, and a
40G HDD as well what the hell I was trying to work out what to do to save
my over-full disks anyway.

I have just installed same, now have double the RAM and more than double
the HDD space after retiring a few bits.

As for "resources" this (below) is what I was trying to say and wanted
confirmed.  In fact, from the observation that System resources is always
the most pessimistic of User and GDI, I assume it is just an "overall"
figure and there are actually only two stacks involved.  Who knows... all I
know is that I run out of the damn things and it is very annoying, and I am
sure that my comparatively huge new memory will not change this one iota.

  Will report on effect of 768MB on my W98 system when I get time.  Looks
good so far, fingers crossed that I am one of the lucky ones.

Cheers,

Julian

At 12:38 28/07/01, you wrote:
>"Tony Sleep" <TonySleep@halftone.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 13:03:17 -0500  Laurie Solomon (laurie@advancenet.net)
> > wrote:
> > >  I noticed in both systems that since
> > > the addition of the RAM the Windows resources meter shows
>proportionately
> > > less system resources being used than previously (ie., more system's
> > > resources available), which is one thing which I take as an indication
> > > that the additional RAM above 512 is being taken into account.
> > AIUI Resources meter shows only useage of 3 internal OS stacks which are
>of
> > fixed size (System, User, GDI) and don't vary with RAM installed.
>
>Tony is correct.  The system resources have nothing to do with free RAM in
>general,
>only with available space within the fixed User, System and GDI blocks.
>
>Rob

Julian Robinson
in usually sunny, smog free Canberra, Australia

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.