filmscanners: Scanning Kodachromes with LS30

I have never had to scan Kodachrome slides before (and never thought I'
have to!) but, as luck would have it, I have just been handed a huge
pile of them to scan.

I am using VueScan 7.1.7 on a PC with an LS30. What is the generally
accepted best method for scanning these? Is use of the infrared channel
out? If it is better to use Nikon Scan 3.1 on these I can.

Many of the slides are badly faded, quite dirty (fingerprints, dust) and
all of them are of an unknown size (to me). They are a square image
measuring about 22mm on a side. This pretty much buggers me for scanning
the whole image but the owner of the slides (family!) don't mind if I
forcibly have to crop due to the scanners limitations.

Any suggestions on the best practice welcomed.

Bruce Roberts.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.