Re: filmscanners: Profiling scanners...

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:17:14  Jeffrey Goggin (audidudi@mindspring.com)
wrote:

> while Vuescan allows me to specify the color space it uses, it
> doesn't appear to have made any provision for profiling, either.

Vuescan utilises an internal matrix which does the job of a scanner
profile. This calibration is derived by Ed from a Q60. Ed has
deliberately
integrated this into VS (rather than implementing it as a proper,
changeable profile) to stop people stealing it and using it in other
software. However it does limit you to a generic profile for the
make/model
rather than one you make yourself.

I can see Ed's point of view, since scanners generally seem to diverge
very
little from a generic spec so his characterisations are fine. However
he
might do better to change the architecture to use proper profiles, and
sell
us his profiling tools - Vueprofile? - as well :)

As a workaround, if you have a DIY scanner profile and Photoshop, you
can
obtain completely raw high-bit scans from your scanner via Vuescan and
then
apply the profile in PS.

Regards

Tony Sleep