Re: filmscanners: My replacement 8000 is banding like the first one :-(

Actually, Nikon LS2000 and LS30 and I suspect all the newer 35mm
models, at least, move the scanning "unit" (CCD, lens and lighting
source and any mirrors), and not the film.

Yes, they move the film into frame position, but then the fine movement
is done by  moving the scanner "head".

This does probably allow for more accurate scans in multi-pass
situations.

Probably the best manner for multi passes, is when the scanner allows
for each "line" to be multi-scanned without moving anything... scan,
scan, scan, scan, move, scan, scan, scan, scan, move... you get the
idea, building up all the multiple copies at the same time.  Then they
are all in identical registration.

Art

rafeb wrote:

> At 12:03 PM 7/20/01 +0100, Jawed wrote:
>
> >Dare I say it, but I suspect a scanner moving the film is "less accurate"
> than
> >a scanner that moves the scan "head".
>
> I disagree, and I'm sure Austin will chime in here too <g>.
>
> All film scanners I've worked with move the film -- except
> for flatbeds with TPUs.  The lamp and CCD stay put.
>
> This applies to:
>
> * Microtek 35t+
> * Polaroid SprintScan Plus
> * Minolta Scan Speed
> * Nikon 8000 ED
> * LeafScan 45
>
> All of the above scanners move the media.  CCD
> and lamp are stationary.
>
> In fact, except for flatbeds posing as film
> scanners, I can't think of any film scanners
> that *don't* work that way.
>
> rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.