Re: filmscanners: Vuescan gripes

In a message dated 7/20/2001 12:25:52 PM EST, alessandro.pardi@inferentia.it
writes:

> Actually this is what I experienced: B&W film (TMax 100 or 400, don't
>  remember), auto-exposure, defaults settings: the histogram of the raw file
>  had almost nothing in the lower half. I rescanned with manual exposure and
>  got it right, after a couple of trials... I don't remember the exact
version
>  of Vuescan I'm using (I'm in the office, now), but I downloaded it less
than
>  a month ago.

Could you double-check this?  If this is happening,
I definitely need to fix this.

I could imagine this happening if "Device|Media type"
were set to "Color negative", since this will scan with
green boosted by 2.5X and blue boosted by 3.5X.
This will cause the overall intensity to be too low,
since the greyscale intensity is:

  .306*R + .601*G + .117*B

"Device|Media type" needs to be set to "B/W negative" instead.

One thing to note is that if the cropping includes part of the
sprocket holes in the film, then the rgb exposure will be too
low because it will try to avoid overexposing the sprocket
holes.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.