RE: filmscanners: image samples of digital artifacts

Rafe wrote--

>>JPG doesn't produce "topo maps"

Ah, but it does! I'd refer you to the "Aniversary" picture on Larry Berman's
Compression page. I found (as Larry did) that getting the original image
below 120mb without posterizing was impossible. :-)

>Topo maps are a result of extreme posterization (loss of intermediate
>tones.) Indexed color is, by definition, a severely posterized
>working space.

Using that "conventional wisdom," I was completely baffled when a picture I
was working on in Photoshop suddenly posterized in a skin-tone area. I do
not use a limited palette (except in Amiga graphics). The causes in that
incident are still unknown--it was a program glitch of some sort that I
corrected by using a different program to get the results I wanted. :-)

>[Indexed color is] *Entirely* unsuitable for any graphic arts work.

That's also a bit too "broad" to be true. Indexed color *does* have its uses
in output applications. I'd refer you to the book "Real Life Photoshop."
Limited color has limited applications, OTOH.

>The typical "signature" of JPG is little blocks (8x8
>pixels) that are clearly discernable in the image.

That's true enough. However, the little buggers are more recognizable by
their "shimmerey" off-color than as patterns. The rule of thumb is to push
the compression just that far, then back off a few clicks. You can only do
this with a few programs, Picture Publisher 8 being one of them.

Best regards--LRA