RE: filmscanners: Link to Nikon 8000 banding example...

For Vuescan, Nikon Scan and Photoshop you'll find a PC does at least as good
a job for rather less money than a Mac.

If you can find a geek type around who'll do the work for you, you can
configure a replacement motherboard, CPU, 1GB of RAM and bits to make it
work for $5-600 (maybe less, I'm in the UK and guessing here) - for that
you'll get a 1.2GHz Athlon that will blow away any Mac you can buy.  The
rest of your PC stays the same.  Of course you'll prolly want to buy a new
hard disk, what with all those huge scans flying around and a high end SCSI
disk + controller will unfortunately cost another $300+

You seriously need a geek you can trust to help you with this kind of thing
and you have to buy high quality components to make it work reliably.

The alternative is to buy an off-the-shelf PC of this spec from a system
builder.

Don't buy a Pentium 4 as it's a waste of money.

Jawed

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.