Re: filmscanners: 1640SU @CompUSA $150

I've had the 1640SU for about two months and I believe it's a big bang for the
buck.  It seems to have a bit more range than the Epson 1200U that I did have
and works well with Vuescan.  The only problem I'm having is what appears to be
posterization in the near highlight areas.  I'm not sure what causes this but
it was much worse with the 1200.  I'll be happy to send anyone a small cropped
sample as an example if anyone could suggest what is wrong.  These are on scans
from transparencies.  If anyone could help me out on this issue I'd really
appreciate it.

Other than that I think the 1640 is a good unit for the price.  I've scanned
medium format negatives that look very good.  It will not, however, take the
place of a good medium format film scanner.  For those of us on a tight budget,
it's a good choice in the interim.

Jim

Stan McQueen wrote:

> At 02:59 PM 7/17/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >Try Buy.com $279
> >
> >Harlee Little
> >
> >How good is the 1640SU? This price is approaching my threshold for an MF
> >scanner.
> >
> >Stan
>
> Yep, there it is. And not only that, but a little popup window informed me
> that I could get another $25 off for any purchase over $250. That would
> make the final cost of the 1640SU with TPU $254. Seems like a winner for MF
> scanning. Now for some questions:
>
> 1. Has anybody tested this? How good is it?
>
> and
>
> 2. Does VueScan support it?
>
> Stan
> Photography by Stan McQueen: http://www.smcqueen.com