RE: filmscanners: Grain, Noise, et al

Without a doubt, Rob, that's the best answer re: fundamentals. I've been
shooting a lot of 400 speed, albeit quality films (Supra, Fuji NPH). The
Supra 400 isn't too bad at all, really, but I've had some very grainy
results shooting NPH with a flash. No question, I'm 'shooting' myself in the
foot here and am just now starting to move in the direction of standardizing
on 100 (sometimes 160) speed films.

Interestingly, I just shot 2 rolls of Kodak T400CN for a local newspaper. I
used Kodak mailers and when I got the pics & negs back, all the pics had a
pink cast (fortunately, the negs were great)! I don't know the technical
reason for this, although I know that the CN film can be printed on either
color or B&W paper, but wouldn't you think the techs at the Kodak labs would
look at the prints and ponder whether prints with a pink cast could possibly
be right? Dumb.

Norman Unsworth

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.