Re: Unsharp mask was Re: filmscanners: Getting started question

on 7/15/01 5:37 AM, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Lastly,  I have found the amount of USM you can get away with depends
> upon the scanner and the film in use.  If the scanner or film tends to
> exaggerate grain, defects, or noise, you can't go to far with USM,
> because
> these are indeed the types of things that USM will "enhance".  If your
> scanner has low noise, doesn't grain aliase, or exaggerate dust
> scratches
> and the like, you can pump the USM up a fair amount without it looking
> unnatural.
>
> Art

Also the subject matter. Fine details (high frequency) vs broad areas (low
frequency). Bruce Fraser uses a tree branches and a pumpkin to illustrate
the difference in Real World PS. An image primarily composed of fine details
may want a smaller radius with a high(er) amount, relative to a less
detailed object, which in turn may want a larger radius with a lower amount.

Todd

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.