Re: filmscanners: fogged film

I don't have a specific recommendation for extracting the images from
very dense film, as it is a matter of experimentation, and the knowledge
that scanners don't much like density.

However, I do want to warn people that there is a new type of x-ray unit
being used in many airport systems now.  This device is used on checked
in luggage, and if it encounters an area of the luggage which it cannot
read (like due to an X-Ray lead shielded bag) it will continue to
increases the X-ray levels until it can see through.  Needless to say,
this device damages film considerably, and BBC had a whole nature show
destroyed after filming.  Best to have your film with you, and hand
inspected, or put through those machines, than to have it "probed" by
this new device.

Art

Art

> Norman Quinn wrote:
>
> Apparently two rolls of color print film were either fogged by an xray
> machine or poorly developed.
> The entire roll film is very dense but there are images there.
>
> Using a Nikon 2000 scanner or a HP Photo smart scanner and nikon and
> vuescan software, what would be the best place to start to extract the
> images from the film.
>
> The images were shot underwater documenting coral diseases. I am not
> so concerned about quality as the ability to see diseased coral. It is
> just too hard to go reshoot.
>
> Help - please
>
> Norman J. Quinn, Ph.D
> Discovery Bay Marine Laboratory